Hiya! If you have been following this blog, you’ll remember the super sweet Aardvark Letterpress Post I made. In that post, I stated that I was working with them to make a letter press project from my art. Well, here it is.
I went into their shop and spent four hours helping them complete it. I mainly did color checks as the machinery and setup requires expert knowledge. Watching it all go down was super fun and educational, so I took lots of photos and videos.
Test Prints to make sure the plates look good. These also check the placement on the paper. In this instance, I am using thick white museum board. Thick paper is good to get a deep impression or “bite”.
The plates were carefully put in brackets. Spacers were used to adjust the position to make sure the printed colors correspond correctly with each other on the paper.
The colors are mixed one at a time after the previous one is finished printing. The amount of ink you see in the picture was double the amount needed, which amazes me since as a screen printer, I am usually dumping buckets of ink onto a screen. We used the uncoated solid color Pantone Matching System to communicate color to each other.
You can how the colors go on top of each other. The colors do not ever overlap, they line up right next to each other. Their registration was impeccable. The closeups are hard evidence of this.
The machine was so awesome. It was hypnotic, watching it move back and forth. I honestly don’t think I have ever seen such a mechanically complex machine. There were so many parts moving and turning.
To see all the photos and videos I took, please check out my Flickr Photo Set. All in all, it was a good day and good times were had by all.